Mushroom Eggs Benedict
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, peeled, and halved
– 8 portabella mushrooms
– 8 medium eggs
– 8 slices bacon
– 4 medium egg yolks
– 4 tablespoons butter, melted
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 pinch paprika
– Salt, and pepper, to taste
1. Make the sauce; Place the egg yolks in a chilled glass bowl.
2. Whisk using a metal whisk until doubled in size.
3. Pour in lemon juice and beat well.
4. Set a pot of water to a simmer. Place the bowl with egg yolks over the simmering water.
5. Whisk the egg yolks rapidly for 10 seconds. Pour in melted butter and whisk rapidly again to prevent the eggs from cooking.
6. Once the sauce coats the back of the spoon it is ready and can be removed from the heat source. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Place aside.
7. Make the base; heat your grill pan over medium-high heat.
8. Brush the portabella mushrooms with olive oil and rub with garlic.
9. Grill the mushrooms, flat side down for 3 minutes. Flip gently and grill for 2 minutes more.
10. Make the eggs; pour 4-inches water into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
11. Stir to make a whirlpool using a wooden spoon. Crack the eggs into the whirlpool, one at the time and poach 2-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Finally, fry the bacon in a skillet until crispy.
12. Assemble; place one portabella mushroom on a plate. Top with two bacon slices, two poached eggs, and a dollop of Hollandaise sauce.
13. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional info per serving:
– Calories 536
– Total Fat 44.3g
– Total Carbohydrate 5.3g
– Dietary Fiber 0.9g
– Total Sugars 2g
– Protein 29.5g